Gluten-free Thick Crust Pizza
Gluten-free Thick Crust PizzaCourse: Uncategorized
1 tablespoon honey
1 ¼ cups warm water, 110°F
1 tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
2 ¼ cups white rice flour
½ cup oat or millet flour
¼ sweet white rice flour also known as mochiko flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder (OR ¼ teaspoon baking soda)
High heat oil or ghee (for the pan)
- For the Flax Egg
1 tablespoon ground flax
3 tablespoons very hot water
- Dissolve honey or sugar with 1 1/4 cup warm water. Sprinkle yeast over the water and let sit for 5 minutes while the yeast activates.
- Make the flax egg: In a cup or small bowl add a tablespoon of ground flax seed and two tablespoons of boiling water. Stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix with spoon or whisk.
- Add flax mixture, yeast mixture, and yogurt. Stir until dough comes together in a wet sticky dough.
- Cover dough with a warm damp dish towel. Place in a warm location. Optimal temperature for rising is 80°F – 90°F. Leave for 1 hour.
- Heat a cast iron pan on medium heat (depends on your stove!). Add a high heat oil like ghee or avocado.
- Scoop dough into the cast iron pan. Using an oiled spatula, spread so that the dough almost meets the edges. Dough should be ~½ inch thick.
- Cover pan with a lid and let cook for 5-7 minutes, until there is no longer any sticky raw dough. At this point the bottom of the pizza should be crisp and the top should be soft but cooked.
- Transfer the pizza to a pan. Add your desired toppings and cook in the oven till toppings are hot.
- Repeat steps 7-9 as needed with the remaining dough.