Gluten-Free NaanCourse: Uncategorized
- Yeast Mixture:
1 tablespoon honey
1 ¼ cups warm water, 110°F
1 tablespoon Active Dry Yeast
- Flax Egg:
1 tablespoon ground flax
2 tablespoons very hot water
- Other Ingredients:
2 cups white rice flour
½ cup oat or millet flour
½ sweet white rice flour also known as mochiko flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder (OR ¼ teaspoon baking soda)
¼-½ cup warm water
High heat oil or ghee (for the pan)
- Make the yeast mixture: Dissolve honey or sugar with 1 1/4 cup warm water (~110 degrees). Sprinkle yeast into the water and let sit for 5 minutes while the yeast activates.
- Make the flax egg: In a cup or small bowl add a tablespoon of ground flax seed and two tablespoons of boiling water. Stir to combine and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl, add flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix with spoon or whisk.
- Add flax mixture, yeast mixture, and yogurt. Stir until dough comes together in a wet sticky dough.
- If needed, add the ¼-½ cup warm water to the dough. The dough should be a thick batter (similar to a thick pancake batter).
- Cover dough with a warm damp dish towel. Place in a warm location. Optimal temperature for rising is 80°F – 90°F (but room temp will work as well). Leave for 1 hour.
- Heat a cast iron pan on medium heat (depends on your stove!). Add a small amount of high heat oil like ghee or avocado.
- Scoop dough into the cast iron pan. Using an oiled spatula, spread so that the dough creates medium size ovals. Dough should be ~½ inch thick.
- Cover pan with a lid and let cook for 1-3 minutes, until there is no longer any sticky raw dough. Then flip the naan and cook on the other side for 1-3 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked naan to a plate and brush melted butter or ghee on top.
- Repeat steps 7-9 as needed with the remaining dough.
- Just an FYI if you are substituting coconut milk, Aroy-D brand doesn’t have any gums listed in the ingredients in the US, but it does contain an emulsifier which can exacerbate digestive symptoms. Check out this article for more details.