Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Kahk
Gluten-Free, Sugar-Free Kahk – Recipe adapted from Cleobuttra
400 grams white rice flour
50 grams sweet white rice flour
50 grams chestnut flour (or other whole grain or nut flour, millet is also good)
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
1 tsp 5 Spice Powder
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
300 grams ghee or clarified butter
80 grams lactose-free milk
3 tbsp honey
- Agameya (Honey) Filling (Optional)
1 tbsp ghee or clarified butter
1 tbsp sweet rice flour
1 tbsp white rice flour
1/3 cup honey
3 tbsp finely chopped walnuts (optional)
- Make Kahk Cookies (Adapted from Cleobuttra)
- Preheat oven to 320F/160C.
- Make filling (instructions below) if desired.
- In a large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, 5 Spice Powder, and salt.
- Add ghee and mix until well combined.
- Add honey and milk and continue mixing until you have a cohesive dough.
- Scoop out a large tablespoon of dough and roll into a smooth ball around a small ball of Agameya filling. Make sure there is no filling exposed. Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Put dough balls on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Gently press on the balls to create a thick coin shape.
- Give the cookies some designs using the decorative end of a spoon or a stamp. Be very gentle!
- Bake for 18 – 22 minutes until blond and very lightly golden brown on the bottom. Be careful not to over bake!
- Make the Agameya Filling (Directions from Cleobuttra) (Optional)
- In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, melt the ghee. Add flour and stir constantly until the mixture turns golden blonde.
- Add the honey and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Once boiled, cook a little longer until barely thickened and has the consistency of hot caramel sauce (about 1 minute longer).
- Remove saucepan from the heat and stir in the nuts, if using.
- Transfer Agameya to a bowl and let cool (or refrigerate) until firm but soft enough that you can shape it.
- Using greased hands, roll into small macadamia nut-sized balls. Arrange over parchment lined baking sheets and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
- This recipe is adapted from Cleobuttra’s Kahk recipe. Her recipe is incredibly comprehensive so you should check it out!
- I made a few small changes to the original recipe, but the most significant changes involved adapting it to be gluten-free and sugar-free.
- Fun fact, you don’t have to worry about over stirring the cookie dough (as you with the original recipe) because it’s gluten-free!